Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Flirting

The topic of flirting came up recently with someone online. For him, flirting is exclusively reserved for those he wants to have "relations" with - I take the broader definition of the word. Flirting is fantastic, amazing, the sole of exsistence, but for me it isn't about getting the person into bed, in fact, when that's my goal I'll tend to be much more direct about it - "fancy a shag?"

I flirt with women constantly, mostly to amuse myself (a common theme in the "why I do things" list), but sometimes to get things I want. An example is, say, my flight is delayed, and I want to see if I can either get on an earlier flight or get something out of it to my advantage, whoever is behind the counter I'll flirt with, I'll stroke their ego, I'll make them feel like they're completely appreciated in their efforts. Now a hardened professional will spot it a mile off - but in this day and age, most people are most likely to try the "explosive response" of yelling and being the squeaky wheel.

My flirting with heterosexual men is much more subtle, it tends to be those who I am subordinate to, where I'll put an idea in their minds and make them think it's their idea. It should be noted, this doesn't get me anywhere at work, but it does amuse me.

Go out and flirt people, make your neighbour feel good.

1 comment:

Artful Kisser said...

I agree with you. If there were more harmless flirtation in the world there'd probably be less war I reckon - though that's probably quite a long shot... I can say the buzz I get from non-sexual flirtation with all and sundry is similar to the hormonal happy buzz I felt during my pregnancy.