Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My open letter to the world - and particularly TV broadcasters

There is a growing trend, a push from the media - a trend to supply me with ever-increasing amounts of information. Watching television tonight I've been advised about what the next commercial break is going to contain. Breakfast TV is now "designed" to provide me with news, current affairs *and* advice on how to mop my floors to kill the most number of micro-organisms.

Hear me say this - television is for entertainment. This is why productions such as "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers and Sisters" have such a following. People who have a need for excessive amounts of information are unlikely to sit and watch whomever the favoured presenter of the moment.

Television should be entertainment. Television should be diverse in content and not rely on a particular programming genre to fill the schedule. Give me reality, give me drama, give me science fiction, give me news, give me the world. Lead me on a journey through life. Use the opportunities of digital TV to provide a variety of content - make me search the TV guide. The paradox is that I don't want an assumption that I'm of limited intelligence, and I don't want an assumption that I'm intelligent - let me choose what I need.

No comments: